Veggie Turkey Roast with Stuffing

seitan turkey roast with stuffingFor some of us the Holidays just wouldn’t feel the same without a big stuffed roast.  I tried lots of imitation Tofurky in my day but none gave me the feeling of my Grandmother’s home cooking, so I made my own.  This seitan roast is similar to the Veggie Corned Beef recipe that you will find in my cookbook, but it is specially seasoned to replace a traditional stuffed turkey.

Boiling Stock

• 8 Cups Water
  • 1 Sweet Onion (quartered)
  • 2 Sliced Carrots
  • 4 Stalks Sliced Celery
  • 1 TBL Salt

Veggie Turkey

• 5 Cups Vital Wheat Gluten
  • 2 TBL Dried Minced Onion
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Dried Thyme
  • 1 tsp Dried Marjoram
  • 2 ½ Cups Water
  • ½ Cup Olive Oil (or melted butter or margarine)
  • Cheese Cloth and Two Strings
  • Bread Stuffing (see recipe for Stuffed Tofu Roast the full recipe is printed in the INFO sidebar to the left of the YouTube video)

Baste

• 1 Stick Butter or Margarine (or Olive Oil)
  • 3 TBL Honey
  • 2 TBL Soy Sauce

Place your water, aromatics (onion, carrots, celery) and sea salt in a large pot for your stock, cover and bring to a slow simmer.

Meanwhile, place the Wheat Gluten in a large mixing bowl and add the dried onion, salt and spices.   Add your water and oil all at once to the mixing bowl of dry ingredients and quickly stir with a wooden spoon until it a large stiff ball has formed.  Take your seitan dough out of the bowl and kneed on a well oiled cutting board for 10 minutes.  The dough will be much more elastic than regular bread dough, but don’t skip on the kneading because this is what will give the turkey breast the proper texture.

Form the dough into a loaf  keeping in mind that it will expand some during cooking and it must fit inside your stock pot. Wrap the loaf loosely in a double layer of cheese cloth making sure you leave about an inch all around so that the seitan can expand during cooking.  Tie the veggie turkey at both ends and gently slip into your simmering stock.  Cover and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Carefully remove the boiled roast from your stock pot and cut away the strings and cheese cloth.  Scoop your prepared bread stuffing into a large roasting pan and place the boiled roast on top.   Combine your baste ingredients in a small bowl and brush a thin layer on top of your roast.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour, basting again every 15 minutes.

Gravy Tip:  I serve this roast with a simply pan gravy that I make with caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms and the broth left over from the seitan simmering stock.  I thicken with a little roux and use my hand blender to puree.  Served with homemade mango and fresh cranberry relish it fulfills our memories of Thanksgiving at Grandma’s house back in the day.

Leave a Reply