Fried Veggie Chickie

[slideshow id=4]

I was speaking to a lovely Indian lady the other day on the phone and though she didn’t grow up with the fake meat dishes that many of us long for to appease cellular memories of our carefree carnivorous childhood, she did mention that she once had some wonderful fried vegetarian chicken and would love to make that herself at home.  At our house, fried chickie tenders are a bit hit with my family.  We use these as a staple for chickie cacciatore, chickie parmesan,  chickie fried steak with gravy or just plain fried chickie with a side of fries!  The following is a modified recipe from my basic simple seitan that is included in my cookbook.

This recipe uses a homemade seitan – which is made from vital wheat gluten.  Definitely NOT SOMETHING for people with Celiac Disease or Gluten Sensitivity.

Vital wheat gluten and is a popular ingredient in many store bought vegetarian meat alternatives.  Making seitan at home can be easy and is a frugal way to reduce your reliance on pre-packaged foods.  I make a big batch on the weekend so that I can use it for more meals during the week.

If you Google Seitan Recipes you will find a large variety of cooking methods and ingredients.   Additions of brewer’s yeast adds nutrients, tapioca pearls texture and the selection of spices can change the entire end result.  Below is my basic seitan recipe, a good choice for first time do-it-yourselfers…

Basic Simple Seitan

• 2 ½ Cups Vital Wheat Gluten
  • 1½  Cups Vegetable Broth
  • ¼ Cup Dried Minced Onion
  • ¼ Teaspoon Sage
  • ¼ Teaspoon Thyme
  • ½ Cup Olive Oil or Melted Margarine

Gluten seizes up quickly, so you’ll need to move fast once you add the water.  Combine the gluten, 1½ cups veggie stock, minced onion, spices and olive oil in large mixing bowl.  Use a large wooden spoon to mix thoroughly, and then use your hands to need the spongy mass.  Transfer to an oiled cutting board and knead for 5-10 minutes.  Shape dough into a log and slice with a serrated knife into ½ inch thick medallions.  Bring a pot of water to boil on your stove and carefully drop the medallions into the pot cook over a very low flame for 1 hour.  Seitan will plump up considerably as it cooks.

After Seitan has been boiled you can bread it like cutlets and fry or bake, toss it into a stir-fry or use it in this simple flour dredged fried chickie.

Drain your boiled seitan and prepare your ingredients for the coating:

• 4 Eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons Water
  • 1 Cup Whole Grain Flour
  • ½ Teaspoon Sea Salt
  • ½ Paprika (or Chilipowder if you prefer)
  • ¼ Teaspoon Sage
  • ¼ Teaspoon Thyme
  • Olive Oil for pan frying

In a shallow bowl combine your eggs and water and beat well.

On a plate mix your flour and seasonings with a fork until well blended.

Get your cast iron pan hot before adding the oil.

To prepare chickie, dip seitan into egg wash then dredge in flour making sure to coat all sides.  Carefully place in frying pan and cook 2-3 minutes over medium heat until golden brown on all sides.

Drain on paper towel and serve with your favorite dippin’ sauces.

Leave a Reply