Whole Grain Waffle Recipe

I never seem to make the same waffle or pancake recipe twice.  Because I like to use what is on hand and for me cooking is so much more an art than a science.  Sometimes I’ll use up the rest of a large container of yogurt, or I’ll put a cup of my sourdough starter in the recipe if it is feeding day for my little friend.  If it is winter, I might toss some oats into my food processor to make a flour.  And if I think we are all a bit low on protein I may add some nut powder to the mix.

In our cookbook, we have a two recipes for wheat free pancake/waffle batter.  But the recipe I am going to share today uses whole grain spelt flour.  Spelt is an ancient grain that Hildegard von Bingen once wrote about in the twelfth century as “The spelt is the best of grains. It is rich and nourishing and milder than other grain. It produces a strong body and healthy blood to those who eat it and it makes the spirit of man light and cheerful. If someone is ill boil some spelt, mix it with egg and this will heal him like a fine ointment.” (http://www.spelt.com/)

I make no claims that my spelt waffle batter will heal what ails you, but it is most certainly good eats!

Ingredients:

• 4 cups spelt flour (you can substitute whole grain flour)
  • 1 cup wheat bran
  • 1 TBS baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt (or less if you are watching your sodium)
  • 2 eggs (or 2 egg whites, or omit altogether for vegans)
  • 2 tbl olive oil
  • 2 cups whole milk (skim milk or soy milk)
  • 2 cups pure water

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and then add the wet items in a well inside your flour mixture and whisk until most of the large lumps are gone.

Follow the directions on your electric waffle iron.  The amount you will use per waffle depends on the size of your waffle iron.

If you are using a stove top cast iron waffle maker.  Make sure you preheat the iron on both sides for about 2-3 minutes over medium heat.  I brush a very small amount of coconut oil or olive oil on each side of my iron at the start of cooking and once or twice as I am going along or as needed.

Lift the top iron and pour your batter into the center of the plate.  Close the iron and flip to begin cooking on top side first.  After two minutes (your time may vary) flip the iron again and finish cooking another two minutes on the remaning side.  Lift carefully and remove hot waffle with tongs or fork.

Top with fresh fruit if desired.  Serves about 12 and left overs freeze well!

[slideshow id=6]

The following nutrition information is my best guess using the tools at CalorieCount.About.Com So please consider them for entertainment purposes only.  You can see what passes for “fun” at my house!  🙂

The following two nutrition facts compare the results from making the recipe with whole milk versus skim milk, whole eggs vs egg white and omitting the oil on the low cal recipe on the right.  Only two weight watcher points when made with the low fat alternatives listed above!

When made with whole milk and whole eggs. 1 serving

Low fat version (skim milk, egg white, omit oil)

4 cups spelt flour
2 cups whole milk
1 tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tbl olive oil
1 cup wheat bran

Leave a Reply