Oats-N-Apple Clusters

I saw a post in my Facebook newsfeed today from a dear friend from high school who pondered her sanity for cutting back on sugar during Halloween and the upcoming holidays and I offered to send her some of my minimal sweet desserts.  And while I was hoping for pies or cakes both of which I am the master baker (!) she asked for some not-so-sweet cookie recipes.  So I went to my test kitchen and came up with three samples this afternoon … all of which my kids are busy still taste testing.  🙂

I’ve been cooking without processed sugar for years now and most of my desserts not only taste great but are good for you!  I will add a warning though, if you are use to overly sweet treats (think fast food fried apple pies) then it may be a shock to your system to try a minimally sweet treat.  But after a few years of eating healthy my kids actually prefer my cakes and cookies to store bought!  (I have great kids!!)

This little apple and oat cluster is perfect for VEGAN guests as well as 100% Gluten Free!  Leaving the peel on the apple provides extra fiber and the walnuts are a wonderful source of healthy omega oils.

• 2 cups old fashion oats (not quick or instant)
  • ½ cup walnut bits
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 date
  • 3 apples

Place your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Heat one cup of water with 1 whole date for 1 minute in the microwave or stove top.  Core and half three apples and combine with hot water and date in your food processor and pulse until apples are chunky and the date has dissolved in the mixture.

Add your apple blend to your dry ingredients and mix well.  Let your batter sit for 30 minutes so give the oats time to soften.  Drop by rounded spoon onto your cookie sheet or oven stone and back for 15 minutes in a 375° preheated oven.

Nutrition facts provided for entertainment purposes only — I’m no rocket scientist 😉 and are based on values from http://caloriecount.about.com

At only 44 calories each these tasty morsels have only 1.9 grams of sugar.  Traditional oatmeal cookies can have 130 calories and over 7 grams of sugar each.  Plus these cookies are low in fat and have good soluble fiber from the whole grain oats!

Leave a Reply