Black Bean Cake with Chocolate Maple Frosting

I can appreciate that my idea of dessert may well be wide of the mark of traditional family fare.  But these low fat, high protein and minimal sugar treats are really something to consider if you are trying to eat healthy. Come on!  Have you ever heard of a slice of cake that boats almost 19 grams of protein?

Cake:

• 1 can (15 ounces) organic black beans
  • 1 can (15 ounces) organic butter beans
  • 10 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Frosting:

• 2 tubs (~28 ounces) firm tofu
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla

To make the cake combine your two cans of beans (we use Eden Organic beans because they do not use BPA in the can lining) in your food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste.  Add the remaining ingredients and continue to process for another minute so that everything is well blended.

Place in a lightly oiled spring form ban and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.

Let cool completely before frosting.

To assemble the frosting, place your two drained tubs of tofu into your food processor and blend until there are no lumps and you have a creamy soy paste.  Add your maple syrup, cocoa powder and vanilla and continue to whip for another minute or so.  Chill until ready to use.

The bean cake will be moist and dense when cooled and it will collapse a bit from when you took it out of the oven.  I like to use a serrated knife and carefully slice my cake into two thin layers.  Then I spread half of the tofu frosting in between and the remaining over the top and the sides.

Nutritional content calculated using http://caloriecount.about.com gives this an A- as an excellent and healthy food to consume.  With over 18 grams of protein and one third of your daily fiber a slice of this cake is better for you than most protien bars on the market today!

Serves 12.

Leave a Reply